Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thoughts from a different world.

I've been meaning to post this blog for quite some time now... however it always seems to slip past me. It has been a couple of weeks since our FIN adventure ended, but the memories of those three politically fun-filled weeks are still fresh in my mind. It was an amazing experience and one that I will be sure never to forget. I met some amazing people, developed wonderful friendships and learned so much more about the importance of IA/NH, the political process, my country in general, and myself. I would not trade those three weeks for anything in the world!

I think if you were to ask any FIN about how they're dealing with class being done, any one of them would tell you how hard it is to find other people to talk about politics. We - as FINS - were placed in this other world for three weeks. A world where we literally only discussed politics. And it was amazing. Being surrounded by students who were as interested in this as you were. Now, outside of our FIN-world, we struggle engaging other students. And not even just students - but friends and family members as well. I think my mom got sick of me calling home during those three weeks because I had nothing to say except politics. :-) It was wonderful being in a place like that. And I look forward to the time when we all meet again!

On July 4th, I had an awesome experience. Amanda (my roommate) and I managed to get tickets from Eric to the Billy and Hillary Clinton event in Waterloo, IA! It was something else. It was different from any other political events I had been to thus far. There were different sections for people - whether you were a volunteer or a caucus supporter, etc. And there were a lot of people. I'm sad to say I didn't get my picture with either of them though. Just a picture with them in the background. (My goal is to have my picture with the future President of the USA!) But it was a good event. They really got the crowd going. Especially since it was Independence Day. But it was just so cool to be there at that event. With a former President and another President hopeful. It's part of history. And it's sad more people don't take advantage of that.

All in all - life has been good, just missing politics. :-) I will continue to blog with my thoughts and experiences as they come along. As for the rest of this month, I'm looking forward to visiting DC with Jake and Justin to see Heidi and Emily. It will be a great time! And I'm very excited for it!

No comments: